Monday, July 9, 2012

Summer Lemon - Berry Smoothie Recipe


A few weeks ago I stumbled upon this lemon-berry smoothie recipe as a result of getting creative with ideas for using lemons.  In my first Bountiful Basket I ended up with four or five large lemons.  Now I LOVE lemon water but that need would be fulfilled with one of my lemons.  I also love all things lemon.  Lemon Cake, Lemon Meringue Pie, Lemon Squares, Lemon Fluff, Lemon Cookies... you get the idea.  However most of those recipes call for a lot of refined sugar, butter, and other unhealthy ingredients.  At the time I was in search for more healthy ways in which I could use my excess fruit.  This lemon-berry smoothie recipe was the product of that brainstorm.

Summer Lemon-Berry Smoothie  

Ingredients: (Makes enough for 2-3 people)

1/2 - 3/4 cup raspberries (frozen or fresh)
1 cup strawberries (frozen or fresh)
1/2 of a lemon
1/2 of an apple
1/4 of a cucumber (optional)
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
4-5 large ice cubes

I cut my pieces of apple and cucumber into smaller portions because my blender is not too high tech and sometimes struggles.  However, the instructions are simple.  Place all your ingredients in the blender, mix, and serve.

The health benefits of lemons are extraordinary.  In a quick online search I found these claims:  Lemons help to boost the immune system and fight off bacteria including those that cause acne and canker sores.  They also help fight off infections such as the common cold and flu.  Lemons are a digestive aid and cleanse your body of toxins and encourage easier bowel movements.  Even just the smell of lemon can help with anxiety and dizziness.  While lemons contain citric acid they are actually alkalizing to the body.  Some believe that some diseases including cancer thrive on acid.  Therefore it is thought that perhaps lemon can help regulate the pH levels in our body.

Add the other fruits and veggie to the equation and you have one refreshing drink that is great for your skin, bones, and you overall health.  It certainly hit the spot on a warm summer night.

What is your favorite smoothie recipe?



7 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks so good and I have lots of fruit on hand right now. Going to try this one for sure. It will be my first smoothie with a lemon kick!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see you next Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! This looks absolutely refreshing!! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious Sarah! I have been drinking green smoothies since the spring--I'll have to try this one soon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious! I had no clue that lemons helped fight off infections...Pinning this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of having almond milk in it, same with cucumbers, I will have to try this! I'm stopping by from a blog hop and am a new follower, I would love if you came to say hi and followed me back at www.iheartpears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love smoothies. They have pretty much been my breakfast choice this summer. Yours looks delicious. I will have to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete