Monday, May 14, 2012

Tasty BBQ Salmon Marinade


We have a salmon dinner on a fairly regular basis in our house.  One day last year I decided I was tired of the same old recipe and decided to get a little creative, the product is my new favorite BBQ Salmon Marinade.  The first time I attempted this BBQ Salmon Marinade my husband thought I had lost my marbles, "You want to put WHAT together?"  Hence the reason I usually try to cook when he isn't looking:)  It's easier to try new things and yes sometimes even slip in a healthy substitute here and there.  Shh don't tell him.  This recipe is perfect for a summer BBQ or even just cooking it in the oven.  


The first step is cut up some vegetable of your choice.  This will usually depend on what is on sale that particular week and I've stocked up on.  At minimum I usually always use zucchini but we love zucchini in this family.  Above is pictured; zucchini, yellow squash, sweet onion, and orange bell pepper.  Set your cut up vegetable aside as we work on the marinade.


BBQ Salmon Marinade Ingredients (Per Fillet):
     - Aluminum Foil    
     - Lemon Juice
     - Dried Minced Onion
     - 2 Teaspoons BBQ Sauce
     - 1-2 Teaspoons Italian Salad Dressing
     - Lemon Pepper
     - Montreal Steak Seasoning

*If you are cooking this in the oven preheat your oven to 375 degrees. *

Step 1:  Tear off  a piece of aluminum foil big enough for your fillet and vegetables.  Sprinkle lemon juice on the bottom of the foil.  Next sprinkle your dried minced onion on the bottom in the same fashion.  These ingredients will help season the fillet as well as your vegetables so don't be too shy.

Step 2:  Place your fillet in the center of your foil (if you are using frozen salmon make sure to thaw it first).  Place 1 teaspoon of your favorite BBQ sauce and use a brush to spread it across the top and sides.  Repeat this process with 1 teaspoon of Italian salad dressing.

Step 3:  Sprinkle lemon pepper and the Montreal Steak Seasoning on top.  You can use the photo above to judge approximately how much I used; not too  little, not too much.

Step 4: (Optional)  Flip your fillet over and repeat steps 2 and 3.  I don't always use the second teaspoon of Italian dressing for the other side.  One is usually enough for my taste.  Thus for this side I use the BBQ sauce, lemon pepper, and Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Step 5:  Place your vegetables on both sides of your fillet.  The more you use, the longer your cook time will be.  Wrap up your fillet and veggies with your foil.  It should look like a foil packet.  If you wish, you can let the marinade set for a few hours in the fridge but you don't have to.

Step 6:  Throw it on the BBQ for 15- 25 minutes or place it in the oven for 25-35 minutes.  Make sure it is cooked all the way through before eating it.    

I like to serve this meal with rice.  If I'm cooking it on the BBQ I might also throw on some pineapple kabobs.  Overall it is a pretty healthy meal and the taste is AMAZING.  Like I said, the husband thought I was going crazy when he first saw me assemble this BBQ salmon marinade.  That lasted until he took his first bite.  It was love at first bite!

There have been times when I went to make this BBQ salmon marinade and didn't have Italian dressing.  Thus you can try substituting it with  different dressings such as a balsamic vinaigrette or Catalina dressing.  The amount is so small that it won't throw off you health points too much:)

Who's ready for summer?  What is your favorite salmon dinner recipe?

3 comments: